Keep your Home Safe From Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas which is colourless, tasteless and odourless. It is responsible for a number of unnecessary deaths every year which could easily be prevented with a few simple steps. Don’t get caught out, take the measures to keep your family safe today.
Effects of Carbon Monoxide on the Body
When we are exposed to carbon monoxide symptoms including headaches, dizziness, fatigue and nausea, come on rapidly and without any warning. As carbon monoxide is undetectable you have no way of telling it is there and unfortunately, people often don’t realise what is happening until it is too late. Carbon monoxide reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood. Vital organs like the brain and heart do not receive enough oxygen to function properly leading to irreparable damage and possible death. The effects of carbon monoxide are nothing to be messed with but do not fear, if you follow these simple steps you will be well on your way to a safer home.
Which Appliances Can Leak Carbon Monoxide?
It is important to know which appliances have the potential to release carbon monoxide so that you can monitor them. It’s important when making any changes to gas appliances you hire someone qualified to handle the gas installation or repair.
Below is a sample list of appliances that can potentially cause gas leaks that are likely to be present in your home. This list is no way extensive but will give you a starting point.
- Gas Stoves
- Gas water heaters
- Gas refrigerators
- Gas clothes dryers
- Oil furnaces
- Charcoal grills
- Wood burning stoves
- Other fuel based appliances that are not mentioned above
Four Simple Steps to Reduce the Risk of Carbon Monoxide Leaks
- Install carbon monoxide detectors around your home. These are a must and will tell you if they detect carbon monoxide in the air. As this gas is odourless and colourless you will not know it is there so these detectors are essential for any household.
- Do not bring outdoor gas appliances indoors. These appliances need a lot of ventilation which is not available inside the house. Bringing an appliance inside can bring carbon monoxide and other deadly chemicals inside your home.
- Get a qualified gas fitter to check your appliances. Open-flued gas heaters are the most vulnerable type of heaters but all heaters must be serviced every 2 years. Contact NLK Plumbing Melbourne and one of our gas fitters can come and have a look today.
- Get your chimney cleaned annually by a professional each year prior to winter as a blocked chimney can cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home.
What to do if you Suspect Carbon Monoxide in your Household
- Turn off the gas immediately and evacuate the house. Call the Australian poison control centre even if you think you are okay as your house may still be toxic with poisonous gas or you may not be well enough to judge whether you are okay or not. They are available 24/7.
- If the carbon monoxide detector goes off it is important that you leave the home immediately opening all windows and doors. You can then call NLK plumbing Melbourne 24/7 on 0404 803 333. We will provide immediate assistance and hopefully get your house safe and sound in no time. NLK plumbing is proud to offer a high-quality plumbing service in Victoria and will help make your home the place it should be, a safe place for you and your family. Don’t hesitate to give us a call to speak to one of our advisors on how to make your home safe today, don’t risk it.